Pirates match report

Pirates v Jets Match Report

Another disappointing game for the Jets saw them succumb to a 37-0 defeat to a Pirates side looking to bounce back from the result against Tamworth, their first home loss in years. Despite seeing the return of Ben Fisher and Dominic “John” Olney the Jets were limited to a small travelling squad due to other injuries.

Yet again the Jets started brightly against a Pirates team keen to make a statement, and were able to match them for intensity throughout the first quarter, stopping the Pirates consistently and moving the ball in spurts, the highlight of the first quarter for the jets being an incredible catch by new WR Toby Loxley, who whilst being tackled in mid-air, was able to pin the ball on the CB’s helmet as he went down to complete the catch. Sadly they Jets were unable to maintain momentum and found themselves regularly punting.

The continued pressure told in the second quarter showed as a sliced punt left the Jets pinned in their own 20, and though the Pirates had struggled to drive down the field, they made quick work of the short field, with QB Neil Baptie running it in on a read option. Two interceptions on wayward passes followed however the Jets limited the Pirates to one more field goal, and looked to be in touch, until late in the 2nd quarter when on 4th and 10 Baptie connected to Jamie McLaughlin for a 41-yard score, the receiver pulling it out of the air between Cooper and Olney and taking it for the score.

The numbers advantage started to show on the Jets as the Pirates quick offence wore them down. A fumble at the start of second half saw the pirates recover for a touchdown, followed by another score on their next drive by Scott Widowson, before another Jets fumble gave the Pirates possession in the Jets half once again, Iain Dick running it in to make the score 37-0.

The Jets refused to give in and fought until the end, a spirit showcased no better than by new signing Ady Simons who by the end had played in 3 different positions, as well as D-Line stalwart Matt Ball playing on both sides of the ball. Despite moving the ball down the field in the 4th quarter the Jets were still unable to score, and had to make the 6 hour trip home having come away with nothing.

The Coventry Jets now have a week’s break before their first game against local rivals Tamworth Phoenix, which will see the first time they face off against former players Oli Campbell, Adam Gibson and Jon Maisey. We hope all supporters are able to come down to the Sphinx and support the team.

Photo by ‘takingthepixel’